Thursday, October 26, 2017

Haunted Humpday - Costume Drama



Happy Haunted Humpday!

The skeleton crew is joining Marfi at Incipient Wings for some spooky fun leading up to Halloween.  

This week Ivy and Burt are frantically searching for the perfect costumes for this year's festivities while I look back at some of my past attempts to follow a pattern and operate a sewing machine.  






With All Hallow's Eve less than a week away, it's time to get serious about what to wear for this year's hauntings and Ivy has been looking everywhere for ideas. Little bits and pieces of ephemera that are too interesting to toss or recycle usually end up on the "inspiration" board. Originally the plan was to change it monthly with pictures and quotes that would magically motivate us to improve ourselves. Ha! Failing at that, a few attempts were made to switch it out seasonally but finally it was just easier to give up and leave it permanently dedicated to Halloween. It looks best that way.  





Now here is some inspiration for a Halloween costume! Isn't that a cute little handbag and how about the peplum detail of her jacket, who knew the Wicked Witch of the West was so stylish? 





Awhile ago an exhibition came to town of costumes from famous movies and one of the original hats from the Wicked Witch of the West's costume was on display. It was stunning in it's simplicity. There is a whisper of black chiffon hugging the elegant curves of the brim. It's probably too subtle to be even noticeable in the photo above much less in the movie itself but it is a beautiful detail. That exhibit is definitely worth checking out if it happens to show up near you.





Ok, so that's an option. Burt doesn't look very scared though.
  




Today Burt likes zombies. Tomorrow it will be something else.
Finding just the right fancy outfit isn't easy and for a few years it was quite an issue in our household, but then what would Halloween be without a little costume drama?





For three years, when my son Andy was in grade school, I was desperate to gain the approval of the elite members of the PTO crowd. They were a group of moms who seemed to have everything going for them. Not only were their children brilliant and well behaved but the teachers treated them with a respect that bordered on fawning. I would run into them (as they were getting out of their squeaky clean cars, spotlessly dressed with a plate of homemade cookies for the teacher's lounge) when I was on my way to the principal's office to discuss Andy's latest transgression. At that time it appeared that these so-called, "good moms" sewed elaborate Halloween costumes for their little monsters. Now this was something I thought I could handle, plus it would be fun to do! So I dove in thinking it was a win-win situation all around. Andy was going to love having a great costume and in turn it would show his teachers that I really wasn't such a bad mom after all.





One day while I was frantically searching for some fake fur on my lunch break - for my third attempt at impressing the teachers - I found myself standing in line at the fabric store with several of the grandmothers of Andy's classmates. We had a nice chat about which Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle costume each of us was making and who was baking what kind of treats for the classroom and teachers lounge. That was a real eye opener. So that was how those "good moms" got so much done! Back at work I decided that if I could be so mistaken about them, maybe the teachers would come to realise they had formed the wrong impression of me. Ha, ha, ha! Like that was ever going to happen!





At least it proved I could follow directions, not that it helped our relationship with the school. As with most unpleasant experiences, time healed the wounds and both of us survived the horrors of grade school. In his defense, I have to say that Andy never got into trouble for fighting or being mean, he was just very opinionated about a certain temporary principal. Unfortunately, he chose to write his views on the washroom wall, using four-letter words. Without any spelling errors though. 





He obviously wasn't traumatised for life since he and Kristin clearly enjoy Halloween. So which Scottish wrestler is he supposed to be? I also keep meaning to ask him what his issues were with the principal. Maybe, if he can remember, he could let us know what it was in the comments?





Ok, so what's this? Has Ivy come up with an new plan? Guess we will find out soon enough.
I wonder what Andy and Kristin will be wearing this year.

A belated Happy Haunted Humpday!
Thanks for stopping by. Do your have your costumes picked out yet?

4 comments:

  1. Andy is just adorable in that costume!No he definitely does not look like he is traumatized, although I know grade school can do that.
    My first grade teacher was a psychotic monster bitch, that I'm pretty positive is in Hell being sauteed in her own bile by Satan himself.
    That's why Helena is home schooled...but I'm sure she'd be writing her own opinions on the washroom wall as well, if she felt the urge:)
    Your mood board is amazing, they are something I can't get enough of. I'm glad it's so spooky! We need that all year!!
    I love the costume of the www, it really is gorgeous.
    I remember a documentary about The Wizard of Oz that showed the actress in different prototype 'witch' looks..
    one of them showed her looking just beautiful..I was always sad that she was portrayed as an ugly hag. Not all witches have such sallow complexions, Hahahahaha!
    Can't wait to see Ivy dressed to impress! Will she have a golden litter to cart her around?:)
    Thank you so very much for participating every week my friends!
    I so enjoyed the escapades and the trip to Europe!
    big hugs to you, HM, Burt, Ivy and the kitties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Your first grade teacher sounds very familiar. I can see a lot of advantages to home schooling, it's great to have that option. Given all of Andy's trials in school it is a little surprising that he ended up married to a teacher!
      I've been obsessed with the Wicked Witch of the West's outfit since I was a child, even though she scared me half to death with her Flying Monkeys and death threats. I'll have to try and find that documentary.
      Thanks so much for creating Haunted Humpday, it's been so much fun!

      Delete
  2. I'm totally having Halloween Inspiration Board envy now! Happy Halloween from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'd love to see one you put together, I'll bet it would be really fantastic!
      I just noticed there's a snowman among the black cats. Given our usual Halloween weather, I guess he's not totally out of place.
      Thanks for dropping by and have a Happy Halloween!

      Delete