Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Haunted Humpday VII - All Lit Up Again!



Here we are at the last Haunted Humpday for this year and although we're a bit sad the party is over, the skeleton crew is still looking forward to celebrating on All Hallows Eve. We've had a great time joining Marfi at Incipient Wings for loads of pre-halloween fun! This week they have gone to work lighting up the front door so we don't end up with left over candy! How horrible would that be?




Like most neighborhoods, we observe the universal symbol of "at home with candy" by leaving on the lights on either side of our front door. I take great comfort in the fact that when I'm too old to string up lights and carve pumpkins, with just a few (or a couple dozen) bags of candy I'll still be in business! Naturally, Burt & Ivy will always be there to help out.





We don't do a huge outdoor display (at the moment) but it's not exactly a bare bones approach either. Over the years quite a number of people around town have developed some pretty scary front yards, so these days, during October we are treated to an array of screams and howls accompanied by flashing lights. This year our outside decorations are pretty modest but included new garland and Burt has kindly volunteered to model our it so we can see which lights will look the best.





There's always the problem of where to hide those pesky batteries!





In the end they decided to go with our old, traditional orange pumpkin lights.
They go so well with the turquoise door and pink geraniums, good thing it will be dark!





Of course the bug eyes lights are always popular!





Doesn't Burt make a great praying mantis?





His Madness looks a little sleepy,




. . . but Ivy's definitely wide awake!




In the end it's up to His Madness to get the bug lights set up, with the proper supervision of course. He should really quit making faces and get busy, Halloween is only five days away!




There's really no need to add more decorations to our collection but I found these two little guys at the garden center (along with half of dozen pumpkins for carving into jack o'lanterns) and couldn't pass them up. They don't light up and can't go outside but they do sparkle quite a lot.

Thanks so much to Marfi for dreaming up this wonderful event.

Thanks for stopping by, I hope everyone has a very Happy Haunted Humpday!

6 comments:

  1. So fun. I love the color of your geraniums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, unfortunately, they're clashing a bit with the pumpkins, ha! They usually don't bloom anymore at this time of year and I just couldn't bring myself to pull them out.

      Delete
  2. I love your black leaf garland! I wish we had people decking out their yards over here, I would just wander the streets all night... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been looking for black garland for years and was really happy when I found this. Wish I'd bought more of it! I hope it does catch on in your country! It's such fun visiting all the spooky displays and glowing Jack o'lanterns around town.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful post! I'm going to miss their Halloween activities!
    I think Burt makes a very convincing praying mantis. haha!
    Ivy always looks lovely..no matter what..It must be the lack of flesh that keeps her looking so young!
    His madness certainly seems to have fun..you are a great pair!!
    your new decorations are AMAZING!!!! I love love love that type of glitter..they look like they are covered in sugar! great find!
    Thank you so very much for participating...this was fun and I always looked forward to your post!
    Happy Haunted Humpday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's hard to keep His Madness out of the posts, he really relishes that role! Although I realize I'm lucky that he wants to join in at all. If I could just get him to fix the wonky right column of my blog, ha!
      Yes, I love that glitter, too! There's just something about it that I can't resist!
      Thanks so much for hosting this fun party!

      Delete