Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Spenser's Sofa Situation Part 2

 


Last March, after being in pandemic lockdown for about a week, I decided to fix up the sofa in our sunroom. As is often the case, one thing led to another and soon after starting on the slipcovers, a search was on to replace the rug and find a coffee table. One thing about being trapped at home, it can bring to light all sorts of things that need to be worked on! Then again, who knew how much stuff could be delivered right to your front door?





Spenser spends the most time on this sofa and considers it to be exclusively his.
He will reluctantly share it with the rest of us when he has to. 





Stewart, our other kitty, prefers the sunshine on the bench in front of the windows.
Nobody else ever wants to sit there!





Along with the ottoman and the rug, the sofa really needed to go too, but finding a replacement in the best of times isn't easy, let alone these days. It's still comfortable though, probably because it started out life in a high end furniture store though it was just another floor sample on clearance when I found it. I'd let my mom goad me into taking a look around a store where I never expected to find anything affordable. In the end, a great price on a really comfy sofa was impossible to pass up, even if it was too big, upholstered in off-white and my mother was never going to let me forget it was all her idea in the first place!





 I have had a love-hate relationship with this sofa forever. Here it is in it's "beforetimes" slipcovers. The original upholstery got dirty immediately and after repeated washings it started to fall apart. For the first set of replacement slipcovers I found a fabric the color of coffee stains and cat vomit. My plan to use the same fabric over the whole sofa went completely off the rails when it started looking a little dull. So I decided to add some other fabrics and it ended up looking like a giant, dismembered bumble bee. It was still comfy though and when we were sitting on it, we couldn't see how awful it looked!





Now, after the bumble bee sofa, it's back to off-white in a sturdy, washable cotton, except for this pair of blue shams. I have no idea why I bought them but the other side is plain and sort of off-white so that's two less slipcovers to make, ha! Awhile ago, one of my more contentious relatives asked how I'd describe my home decorating style. This was a trap, of course, I don't have a "style". She just wanted to lecture me on what she thought was the right answer and I wasn't falling for that! It did make me think about it though and I realized that a lot of the time, when I'm shopping for home stuff, I may not know what I'm looking for but I always know when I find it. Though it may take a few years before I figure out what to do with it!





 Spenser seems to like the new rug, apparently he's more than just a sofa kitty after all.




But now, it's on to the spooky stuff.


Thanks for stopping by!



No comments:

Post a Comment