Friday, October 31, 2014

Happy Halloween!




The lights are up!



Decorations are out, both at the back . . .



. . . and front doors!




Burt was pretty pleased with his pumpkin haul this year and eager to start in on the carving!




My relationship with pumpkins is something I find completely mystifying. Every year I vow to give them the appropriate amount of time and care I believe should be invested in transforming vegetables into glowing lanterns but do I actually do it? Nope! Never happens. I always end up frantically scurrying to get them out on the porch and lit seconds before the first Trick or Treaters show up. 



I really admire those pumpkins carved with lovely silhouettes, like the ones with Jack Skellington and Sally dancing across that curvy thing in front of a crescent moon. Yeah, that doesn't happen here. Fangs and teeth break off and eyes need to be replaced with scraps and kept from falling out with toothpicks. Our jack o'lantern are kitchen knife jobs, but someday I will actually use my fancy Dremel cordless drill. It will be rescued from the basement and I'll sculpt a reasonable likeness of Boris Karloff as The Mummy into the pristine flesh of a ghost white pumpkin, but not today.    



Meanwhile, back in the real world Burt was hard at work! 




Ooooh, slimy punkin' innards!




Trick or treat?



Smell my feet!



Give me something good to eat!


Hope that's enough candy to get us through two hours! It's 36° F. with a 12 mile an hour wind out of the north and gusts to 43 mph, and so far we have had as many Trick or Treaters as usual. The most prevalent costume seems to be winter coats with scarves, hats and gloves. At least it's not snowing!



Thanks so much for visiting. Have a very Happy Halloween everyone!

13 comments:

  1. Wow, it was 80 deg. and a bit humid our way In AZ! Our neighborhood has had less treaters every year. We had maybe total of 30 kiddos last night! There are sooo many neighborhoods in this area and our kids are high school and college age now.
    I think your pumpkins are great and I enjoyed the fun you, your hubby and Burt had this Halloween! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, 80 degrees sounds just so wonderful! I'm not ready for snow yet.
      We usually get fewer Trick or Treaters when there's a football game that evening, otherwise they seem perfectly willing to brave any kind of weather for candy!

      Delete
  2. Happy Halloween! I can't believe October is over. Thanks for your visit to my blog! You've won the little drawing. Which one would you like? If you can email me at sweetangelmt@hotmail.com that would be great. :D Have a wonderful November!
    maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. here is the link to the blog post where you can choose which little art piece you like me to send you. http://cozycomfycouch.blogspot.ca/2014/11/halloween-party-diy-apothecary-bottle.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a fun and frigid Halloween here! I am trying to catch up on everyone else's fun now too! Here we are in November! I'm already thinking of turkey...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great you had a fun time even if it was cold! Hard to believe that Thanksgiving is right around the corner!

      Delete
  5. Well your Kitchen Knife jobs look much better than ours... we gave up on our Ghostly White Pumpkin Carving becoz little did we know the flesh is particularly thick on some of those hybrid varieties. Only whence the Young Prince bashed it to pieces on the pavement in Glee this morning did we realize it barely had a hollow interior... no WONDER I almost couldn't get the butcher knife out of it! *smiles* You and Burt did a fine job of decorating and carving... Blessings from the Arizona Desert... where it is FINALLY beginning to FEEL like Autumn as it cools down considerably.... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, too bad about your Ghost pumpkin. I've had the that same issue with them and a couple that had really tough skin, too. What we go through for our art! At least the Young Prince had a good time smashing it.

      Delete
  6. I love your pumpkins, and they don't look rushed at all! And I would love some of those orange fairylights. We get them in every color - except orange - over here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! No orange lights, that's terrible! I'll send you some.

      Delete
  7. First off, I love love love Burt! He is hilarious. The pumpkins are great. I miss the trick or treaters. We never get them because we live on acreage. Or maybe because I kind of scared the last ones we had a little too much????

    Chrislyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, Ha! I'd love to hear the rest of that story! I had to quit wearing my witch hat because most of the small children were too afraid to take candy from me. Burt was supposed to pass out candy this year but it was so windy he kept blowing off the porch!

      Delete