Sunday, October 25, 2020

A Snowy Sunday Brunch




Sunday brunch been forced indoors due to the snow and cold!




It's not a rare occurrence for us at this time of the year. We were lucky enough to escape the eight inches that fell on our friends to the west.




Still, I'd rather it waited until December.




Today, at our indoor dining location, we had HM's favorite brunch dish, Eggs Benedict. 




This is a dish I only make two or three times a year, primarily out of concern for our arteries. So when I do make it, I don't want to mess it up and that has happened quite often. It's fairly easy to assemble but to me, poaching eggs and making Hollandaise sauce are the really scary parts. It also takes quite a few pots and pans so there's lots of messy clean up. Still, it's delicious when it turns out!




  Somehow, my last few attempts have been successful and I'm thinking it's because I quit worrying about failing and concentrated on doing one thing at a time. No more trying to poach the eggs while whisking hot butter into lemon juice. That way, the sauce doesn't turn out runny and the eggs don't overcook. Well, , so far anyway. It might be a good idea to apply this to other parts of my life, too. 




Also, I finally learned to use my LEFT pinky finger to test if it was getting too hot. (Pardon my horribly dry hands!) I use Julia Child's recipe for a Light Hollandaise sauce. If you can call three egg yolks and half a pound of butter with some lemon juice light, ha!




As for poaching eggs, the most important part is to have fresh ones, these are from a nice lady at our Farmers Market. This might be Emeril Lagasse's technique or not, but it's some famous chef's way of poaching eggs that I found in a google search. It's just a quart of water with three tablespoons of vinegar. Each egg is cracked into a small bowl and then gently poured into the simmering water where it cooks for four minutes. It's been working like a charm, so far!  




His Madness was very happy with the results. Maybe I'll make it again at Easter!





The Skeleton Crew were very disappointed that their nocturnal activities were hindered by the snow. Then they became even more upset when they went to see what was on cable and discovered Christmas movies! Oh, no!

Thanks for stopping by, see you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment