Monday, October 26, 2020

Halloween Surprises



Mother Nature dumped quite a bit of white stuff on us yesterday and even more overnight. So my plans to spiff up the front porch and light it all up have been postponed until it disappears. While waiting for the snow to melt I thought it might be helpful to take a look at some of the good and not so good surprises I have encountered during the spooky season this year. Some of them were due to the common perils of online shopping but others were the result of not paying attention to dimensions or flat out mistakes. After trying to figure out what went wrong, I decided they fell into just four categories, they were either Surprisingly Large, Surprisingly Small, Surprisingly Weird or Just Right.




In the Surprisingly Large category is this Pottery Barn Metal Jack O'Lantern Candle Holder. 




It's 12" tall with a 14" diameter, which is roughly the same size as a large pumpkin! I was expecting something that was called a candle holder to be smaller, ha! It's good to have an extra jack o'lantern though and will fit right in on the front steps on Halloween night.




Another item in the Surprisingly Large classification are these mugs. The pumpkin is the only one I actually wanted but it was sold out everywhere except in the sets of four. That was ok, the more the merrier, right? They are cute but they hold almost two pints! Maybe we will have to use them for beer!





Moving on to the one item that was Surprisingly Smaller, the Spider Lamp. Honestly, the price of this should've given me a clue that it wasn't very big. It does fit nicely in the curio cabinet and will probably be there permanently to make my great-grandmother's things just a little more creepy.




Last August, I discovered Michael's had a lot of their Halloween decorations online. I ordered a few things and then somehow checked the box for in-store pick-up instead of having it sent to my home. That wasn't a bad thing because I did do a lot more shopping once I got to the store however, these pillows were already sold out so I didn't see them in person until I got home. Wow, they didn't look anything like this online! They're not so bad but they're not exactly subtle either. They go in the Surprising Weird category, obviously. I do like them and they will work somewhere and now I've learned to look at my pick-up orders before I leave the store.




The last addition to the Surprisingly Weird category is that His Madness and I thought it would be interesting to go on a Cemetery Walk, in the rain, during a pandemic. I can't recommend it.






On a similar but brighter note, I did find some very classy pumpkins to go with the print of the Venetian Plague Doctors! They fall into the Just Right group.





Another in the Just Right category are these containers from Target Dollar Spot. I don't know what they are actually for, (possibly kitchen sponges or those things you use to scrub pots and pans?) but they're great for coffee pods and hold exactly a sleeve of ten. It's taken me three years to get these three, they sell out fast, ha! The Bat on the left is full of decaf, the pumpkin holds caramel and the Cat keeps the expresso. 





The final addition to the Just Right group are these Wiccan Lace dinner plates made by 222 Fifth. For a couple of years I have been haunting Home Goods hoping to find four of the Royal Stafford dinner plates in the skeleton design. They never had more than one or two, so I gave up. Then one day,  these popped up on eBay while I was searching for the Royal Stafford ones and they were very silly and just right, ha! 

   Thanks for stopping by, see you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment