Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Calamitousness of the Botanical Variety


I've often questioned my own sanity for starting a gardening blog when I clearly am pretty terrible at it. My primary goal was to to entertain my mom but somewhere amidst the planting and weeding, I realized it was actually kind of fun to experiment and make bad choices. I enjoy being an utter failure - as long as all the mistakes are made in the backyard!  




This summer, thanks to some nasty storms, my happy place of errors became exposed! Not only was there a giant hole in our impenetrable hedge, there were no privet plants available to fill in the gap!   




Luckily, I found these Winterberry shrubs at the garden center. They will never get eight feet tall but hopefully, in a decade or so, they will fill in the space. The red berries are colorful, too!


   

Elsewhere, a hoard of Japanese Beetles devoured my yellow roses and then had an orgy.




Who knows what turned all the hollyhocks into shreds. It's technically referred to as skeletonized leaf damage. Oddly, that seems appropriate.




Then there are all of those tomatoes being partially eaten by god knows what and now rotting on the vine. So yummy!




Not everything was a total failure and things are starting to look quite autumnal. There will probably be a hard freeze in a couple of weeks and Mother Nature will erase all of this year's mistakes! 




Now its time to make it spooky!

Thanks for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment